More Features... TP-Link and ...

For software support
DaveSignal
Site Admin

Re: More Features... TP-Link and ...

Post by DaveSignal » Fri May 11, 2018 5:24 pm

Thanks. The app doesn't currently support this. It would have been quick to upload an update for something that works similarly to a TP-Link switch (on/off) for the bulb... which is what I had initially presumed. But these color changing bulbs have more settings that need to be utilized. It would definitely be cool to control color-changing TP-Link lights along with everything else. I just ordered one on Amazon. It needs to arrive and I need a day to play around with it, which will probably be Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. I'll update the app then.

Vegna02

Post by Vegna02 » Fri May 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Efficacy ....
Have you think of controlling Nest Thermostat or TV set with Logitech Harmony Hub or to interact with Amazon Echo (Alexa) ?

And have you this app in Iphone ?

DaveSignal
Site Admin

Post by DaveSignal » Fri May 11, 2018 10:25 pm

I have an ecobee thermostat. It is nice that I can see the temperature on my phone when I am away from home but I scarcely change any settings on it, unless I am going on vacation... in which case I would use the web interface to input my vacation dates. It already knows if I am home or away, even what rooms are being used, and adjusts itself to preset settings. So an integration with something like this wouldn't really offer that much. Also, if I was going to start supporting thermostats, then there are many different brands that offer a networked thermostat.... with different APIs for each. Of course, the app would need to support all of the popular ones. It ends up being a lot of work and testing for something that is adjusted very rarely.

The TV-set thing might work with a single brand of TV (Samsung comes to mind). Or maybe it could be an AppleTV remote. But, the actual ATV remote is probably better for such purpose.

This app was designed as a solution for the fact that Apple has never released a homekit API for MacOS. There is no way to access homekit devices or use a universal configuration on the Mac. So I wanted something that offered similar control of multiple popular devices from the desktop environment. It could be done on iPhone too, but iPhone already supports homekit, so the functionality is already built-in there. Additionally, this app does not store anything in the cloud. So there would need to be some kind of alternative way to get the settings from the desktop app, lest you would need to reconfigure everything again on the phone.

- Dave

DaveSignal
Site Admin

Post by DaveSignal » Sun May 13, 2018 7:19 pm

TP-Link Smart Bulbs are now supported!

I coded this with an LB130 Color Changing light. It is awesome and works just like the Hue lights. I set it up for all of the app features, including Group Control, Scene Control, and even Scene Effects. I was careful to program this so that the app will be aware of the specific capabilities of the connected light. In turn, it should work with all TP-Link lights and send appropriate commands to each one based on the functionality that the bulb offers.

The new update has been uploaded to the App Store. It just cleared App Review and is now available for download.

- Dave

Vegna02

Post by Vegna02 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:22 am

Thank you very much, It work now. ;)